Tuesday, October 7, 2008

General thoughts on future of print newspapers

Earlier this semester, I assumed in this blog that there might not be print newspaper in future, dominated by online newspapers. At that time, I thought I was being too optimistic about online newspapers and too pessimistic about print newspapers. But watching “Epic 2015,” and reading “Maybe it’s Time to Panic” kind of comforted me since I realized that I was not the only one who thought the disappearance of print newspaper could actually happen. (I don’t think it’s going to be anytime soon though)

In “Maybe It’s Time to Panic,” the author said, “daily newspaper circulation has declined every year since 1987.” This is more than 20 years of declining. Earlier this semester, I also assumed that the newspaper industries were probably busier than ever to research the main cause for this in order to revive the print newspapers. But then again, I was wrong. Actually, the newspapers are not doing much research about this problem. They are still busy to do research about this presidential election polls, but don’t do much about “surviving”. There’s got to be elements that only print newspapers can have while online newspapers don’t. I honestly don’t know what these elements could be, but I believe, if newspaper industries keep digging into finding this “unique feature” of print newspapers, maybe they will survive in future. Or at the very least, their readership will decrease by less percent each year.

No comments: