Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Maghound: possibly new business model for magazines

Picard talks about how newspaper business model has been changing rapidly in his book. While I was reading the book, I kind of got tried on newspaper business model since we have read and talked about it a few times. Instead, I wanted to know a new business model for magazines. And I found this interesting new service based on a new business model called “Maghound.com.”

There are numerous magazines in this century and it is natural for people to want more personalized stuffs. Maghound allows people to select a number of magazines for monthly subscription, and people can change the list whenever they want to. I thought this idea was brilliant new business model for magazine industries. This was probably possible in magazine industries because most magazines are specialized in their specific areas such as sports, fashions and computers. Thus, people can select some magazines from various fields they are interestd in, and they don't have to worry about a number of sperate subscription for each magazine thanks to Maghound. This model, however, would not work with newspapers because most newspapers are not specialized in its unique fields compared to magaines.

Here is an interesting point of view about the Web site: "Why MagHound is Brilliant -- And Why It Won’t Work"

Since I just discoverd about this interesting service, I might do my presentation on this Web site. If that happens, I will talk more about the new business model for magazines and MagHound during my presentation.

No comments: