Monday, November 3, 2008

Catch(in) the long tail

I doubt how many people buy something that was recommended by someone. I’ll stick with books here, but how long has it been since you went to a bookstore to buy a book?

When my friends recommended books to me, I just go to the bookstore and picked up the specific book. Without a car, I find it hard to get around, so I prefer just buying it online. I get deals and I also get it delivered to my doorstep. But the best thing about shopping online is that the sites also recommend similar books I might like; ‘might’ being the operative word. So far, I have liked the books that I was recommended. But what gets to me is that it feels like someone is watching me and that a random software decides what I should like or want.

Sure, this creates a market where the cost of production and distribution becomes practically zero. With this in mind, it won’t be long till there are more ways to sell obscure material online. But there is a catch. In the article, Anita Elberse says that sales of well-known material are blockbusters to marketing and obscure content could be bad for effective sales because cost per sale of every transaction actually goes up.

No comments: