Sunday, September 28, 2008

economist audience thoughts

Reading the article, I wondered if having Semel lead Yahoo hurt the company in some irreparable way. Yes, Semel learned a lot from his daughters and others who taught him about the internet and new media. But are competing companies doing better because or in part because they're led by techier people?

The talk about the Long Tail reminds me of something I've heard about musicians in the new media economy. I don't recall where I heard it first, apologies. Anyway, the statement was that, to make a living, all a band needs today is 1000 "true fans." These people are die hards and go to any show in their area. They buy the CDs and shirts and really enjoy the music. Today, with the advent of the internet, bands can more easily find these true fans and communicate with them more directly, ensuring that they get more of the proceeds of their own works.

As the article was talking about how companies like Google are very different from traditional media companies, especially in that they don't create content, I was reminded of a few videos on this subject. They're kinda old but I'm not sure if y'all've seen them so I'm including links here:

EPIC 2014
EPIC 2015 (an updated version

There is another that I have in mind too. I'll have to try to find it back. But those two are probably more on target for our purposes.

Update: The second one I couldn't remember is: Prometeus

No comments: