Monday, September 29, 2008

The smartphone and you

Gutenberg’s movable type had its financial glitches in the beginning. It then went on to revolutionise the printing world. I guess you already know where this thought process is going. Like the printing press figured out a way to thrive, so will online advertising. And with the future of the world being online, advertising will slowly figure out its place in the whole scheme of things. Till then, I guess the world has to be content in being prophetic about the future of the Internet.

In his article, Weblogs and the epistemology of the news: some trends in online journalism, Donald Matheson spoke of the line being blurred between journalists and readers when readers adopt current technologies. The current trend of the Internet, in my opinion, seems to be social networking sites (SNSs) and blogging. This indicates how much people want to be a part in the creation of the content, rather than being passive consumers of online content.

Blogs allow for news to be in a democratic and interactive space. They (news blogs) may be biased, but if this is what I want to read, I know where to go. For instance, I follow my friend’s blog for goings on in Bangalore, where I come from. This helps me keep track of a very niche interest. And we just learnt how The Rantings of a Sandmonkey got popular!

Industry pundits have redefined the ‘digital divide’ to be more of how to use the technology you own than haves and have nots. Mobile devices are more common than computers. And recent developments like the iPhone and G1 (Google Android) could probably herald a new era where a smartphone will replace your computer. This brings me back to my point that the future will be online, be it blogs, SNSs or even checking mail.

No comments: