Sunday, September 14, 2008

Online product differentiation

After reading about product competition, I was wondering how it really applies to the news market. In my opinion, I have several sources I get my news from and it really does not matter which one its from. But what I’m interested in is: With more media companies establishing an online presence, is it safe to assume that the online entity is another product?

Newspapers, radio stations and television channels are looking for ways to establish a larger online presence – complementary to their traditional medium. But since most of the content online has been ‘shovelled’ from the traditional medium, it is still another product? I prefer following news on CNN’s website more than on the television. So does this mean that I still like the same product? To what extent is the product differentiation?

1 comment:

Jacie said...

I think online news is a product. And at least for now, considering a print newspaper and its Web site, maybe the two are products?